Are you looking to get your website to the top of Google search in 2020? If so, you will need to be up to speed with the latest ranking factors that provide a real impact on the results. Unfortunately, Google keeps these nougats of information a secret to the public, but it is our job to understand what works and what does not.
Below are 5 different SEO tactics that need to be considered in 2020 in order to stay ahead of the curve and to get your website ranking for those higher volume keywords.
Domain Authority 2.0 (EAT)
The domain authority of a website has been an important ranking factor for a long time now. It used to consider the quality of a website’s backlink profile alone, however it has now been updated to consider various other aspects, specifically the E-A-T principle.
E – Expertise
A – Authoritativeness
T – Trustworthiness
Content that is published on a website should be written by an expert in the relevant field. Google can see this by cross-referencing the author with other content online.
To be a trusted expert, the author to be cited on other authoritative websites. E.g. If Joe Bloggs is seen as an author of content on both the Independent & Financial times, speaking about stocks and shares, then they are likely to pass the E-A-T checklist. This is an SEO tactic that will work for the long term.
Featured Snippet Optimisation
Featured snippets now dominate over 11% of search results and in many cases, steal clicks from the number 1 spot. Therefore, it is especially important to tailor your content for these golden opportunities.
How to achieve featured snippets
- Check your target keywords for featured snippets in the search results
- Tailor your content to fit featured snippets. E.g. The example below put paragraph snippet bait in a box to show Google that it is an important snippet of information.
- Add relevant schema to your content so Google can understand it easily. E.g. FAQ’s
Mastering Search Intent
This point is extremely important and, in some ways, seems obvious. Google pays awfully close attention now to what people are searching for and the content that is available on a landing page. You used to be able to add the keyword in the correct places within the content and you could rank, however now there is much more importance on what the user wants to achieve.
- If someone is searching for ‘cost of a lawyer’, then they want to see a £’s value – So try to include a price on the page
- If someone is searching for ‘Buy… a DVD’, then it is likely that Google will only show eCommerce websites selling DVD’s
It is really that simple. Make sure that if you are looking to rank for a keyword that your content delivers what the user is looking for.
Voice Search Optimisation
How do you optimise for voice search?
- Try to Include a question and an answer in your content
- Try to rank for FAQ snippets as mentioned above
- Adopt a long-tailed keyword strategy
These SEO tactics will help you maintain & grow your organic presence if adopted correctly. There is not an exact science behind the majority of these SEO tactics however if you’ve considered them when creating new content then you will be ahead of the majority of websites out there at the moment.
Written By Chris, SEO Analyst.
With 10 years of digital marketing experience, Chris has worked across a range of industries performing digital marketing efforts activity SEO, Paid Search, Social Media & Content Marketing. Clients include Honda, Tesco, Sports Direct, Three Mobile, Cineworld Cinemas as well as 100’s of SME’s.